ports/Xen on CURRENT, error: ELF start or entries are out of bounds.

Roger Pau Monné royger at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 11 13:50:51 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, brahmann wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm trying to run XEN on latest current as dom0.
> Did all by manual: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Dom0 (except compiling
> from git, cant compile tools, so just used ports xen/xen-tools/xen-kernel)
> And stuck with such an error:

Yes, using the ports (xen-kernel/xen-tools) is the recommended way, I
should update the wiki page in order to note this.

> ---
> (XEN) elf_xen_addr_calc_check: ERROR: ELF start or entries are out of bounds.
> Could not set up DOM0 guest OS
> ---
>
> This only drops on console while xen kernel boots, all other strings are OK
> according to manual.
> Link to photo of speedy console log: http://imgur.com/a5b9CLE
> If need details pls ask.

I've just noticied this issue, it's probably due to an issue with kernel
linking. It seems like the physical address specified in the ELF program
headers is wrong. I'm currently trying to bisect it in order to find the
commit that caused it, in the meantime I can confirm that r295683 and
older revisions should work fine.

Just to confirm, can you paste the output of the following command:

$ readelf -l /boot/kernel/kernel

With the non-working kernel?

Thanks, Roger.