ZFS subvolume support inside Bhyve vm

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Mar 11 00:32:02 UTC 2016

Сергей Мамонов wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Yes - zvols looks awesome. But what driver you use for it?

virtio-blk.

> And what
> about disk usage overhead in guest?

ufs on zvol is faster, either in the parent or a bhyve using virtio-blk,
than zfs. at least for writing, which is my dominant work load. i expect
that this is due to zfs's compression logic rather than anything having
to do with creating/extending files to accommodate writes.

> virtio-blk doesnt support fstrim (ahci-hd support it, but slower? "/At
> this point virtio-blk is indeed faster then ahci-hd on high IOPS/").
> In linux && kvm we try used virtio-scsi driver with support fstrim, but
> how I see it not availble now in 10-2 stable for bhyve.
> And I not lonely with this question -
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2015-March/003442.html

i'm just going to live without fstrim until it's supported in
virtio-blk. i know that this option isn't available to everybody, but at
the moment storage is cheap enough to waste.

--
P Vixie