FreeBSD 11 - Bhyve - Spoof MAC address

James Lodge James at Lodge.me.uk
Mon Jan 4 19:08:48 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I'm just getting started with Bhyve. So far everything is working as expected. My original goal was to be running Ubuntu 12.04 i386 as I need it for a particular project. One issue I'm having is MAC address spoofing. I'm aware I can change the MAC address within Ubuntu but I'd like to configure the tap interface from the host which should be possible according to man pages.

Bhyve Man Page: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bhyve&sektion=8

The issue I have is that by setting the below, the vm boots, I can console via null modem, but there is no eth0 interface, only the loopback. Removing the static MAC, reboot and everything is present and correct.

-s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0,mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

I've gone through dmesg in Ubuntu, but see nothing obvious.

Any guidance gratefully received.

Regards

James