(VNET) jails not going away

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Tue Feb 23 11:42:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

sorry for the cross-post, Reply-To: set.

> On 22 Feb 2016, at 13:41 , Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> has anyone else experienced VNET jails to not fully go away anymore on a recent HEAD kernel (or possibly an older kernel)?
>
> I have test cases with which I can have them in DYING state (see jls -av) for ever or at least more than half a day.   I am in the process of trying to find the cause but would be good to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

Ok, I found more funny behaviour that I can get rid of the previous jail by cleaning up the next one.

root at rabbit4:/home/test # jail -i -c -n test19 host.hostname=foo vnet persist
19
root at rabbit4:/home/test # jexec 19 /bin/csh
root at foo:/ # ifconfig lo0 inet 127.19/8
root at foo:/ # exit
root at rabbit4:/home/test # jail -r 19

Jail 19 is in DYING and hangs there forever;  If I repeat this upon exit from jail 20, jail 19 will go away.

If I’ll just do this

root at rabbit4:/home/test # jail -i -c -n test20 host.hostname=foo vnet persist
21
root at rabbit4:/home/test # jail -r 21

20 and 21 are going.

I’ll keep tracing this but if it ring a bell for anyone please let me know ;-)

> Thanks,
> Bjoern
>
> Example (after more than 12 hours of jail -r ..):
>
> # jls -av
>   JID  Hostname                      Path
>        Name                          State
>        CPUSetID
>        IP Address(es)
>     1  left.example.net              /
>        lef827                        DYING
>        18
>     2  center.example.net            /
>        mid827                        DYING
>        19
>     3  right.example.net             /
>        right827                      DYING
>        20
>     6  right.example.net             /
>        right923                      DYING
>        23

—
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                  Charles Haddon Spurgeon:
"Friendship is one of the sweetest joys of life.  Many might have failed
 beneath the bitterness of their trial  had they not found a friend."