Execute VMXON again without setting CR4.VMXE to 1

Shen, Zhuojia zshen10 at cs.rochester.edu
Sat Dec 10 20:01:30 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I believe I have found a bug in the BHyVe VMX implementation for Intel platform. Following is the details.

In sys/amd64/vmm/intel/vmx.c, there are three functions, vmx_enable (line 500), vmx_disable (line 462), and vmx_restore (line 522), which respectively enable, disable, and restore VMX on the current processor. There is also a file scope integer array vmxon_enabled (line 122) which keeps a record whether VMX on each processor is enabled.

I noticed that in function vmx_enable, the kernel sets CR4.VMXE to 1, executes the VMXON instruction, and then sets the corresponding cell in vmxon_enabled to 1. That is fine. However, in function vmx_disable, the kernel executes VMXOFF, clears CR4.VMXE back to 0, but does not clear the corresponding cell in vmxon_enabled back to 0. This will cause a problem when the function vmx_restore is called, in which the kernel executes VMXON again if that the corresponding cell in that array is 1. That is, it will execute VMXON without CR4.VMXE being set.

Of course, that is only my understanding of the way how these functions will be called. If I am wrong, could anyone of you please advise me how this works? Thanks.

Bests,

Zhuojia Shen

---

Zhuojia Shen