OpenStack on FreeBSD

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Aug 23 16:58:44 UTC 2016

On 8/23/16 4:38 AM, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any plans to make stable port/package of OpenStack on FreeBSD? :-)
>
> I have seen this nice article that first steps are already made:
> http://empt1e.blogspot.com/2015/06/openstack-on-freebsdxen-proof-of-concept.html
>
> It would be really nice to build this kind of cloud infrastructure on
> top of FreeBSD :-)

I have not seen any traction on getting FreeBSD support working on
OpenStack even when talking/working with several OpenStack commercial
vendors.  IMHO - if this is something that people see a need for I would
start by focusing on seeing what the state of libvirt is on FreeBSD and
bhyve.  I have lost track of where the libvirt code base is in terms of
bhyve support.

Another two bits...I've worked on OpenStack for several years now and
the only opinion I have of it at this point is that we are probably
lucky to not support it.  The code base is a horrible mess, with lots of
Linux'isms baked into it.  Yet even if you are running OpenStack on a
fully supported platform like RHEL you will still need to do quite a bit
of hacking to make it work in your environment.  I've even seen vendors
check in untested code in the primary github repositories causing a fair
amount of headaches.

In light of this I reckon there is room for an alternative to OpenStack
in the market...hopefully one based on a cleaner implementation :)

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright