Converting from VMDK to RAW

Justin Holcomb me at justinholcomb.me
Sun Aug 7 15:16:50 UTC 2016

Victor,

One thing to keep in mind with either of those tools is that they do not know how to properly extract data from that latest VMware snapshot state. Both tools will produce a raw file that contains the first snapshot state.

Also if you roll back the VMware snapshot, sometimes it can render the system unbootable. I have experienced this with FreeBSD ZFS installations. The VMware snapshot is not a true snapshot of the disk. So I recommend making a backup of the VMs before converting them over.

Best of luck!

Justin D Holcomb