A couple of newbie questions

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Fri Aug 5 01:40:05 UTC 2016

Colleagues,

I like bhyve very much, and have sucessfully run FreeBSD and Ubuntu
16.04 server in FreeBSD 10.3 bhyve, with vm-bhyve as a shell.
Now I am trying to boot Windows 7 but have not succeeded so far.

However there are things I don't quite understand. A couple of
questions, if you allow.

1. Why is it that for some guest systems, there are two stages: first
bhyveload or grub2-bhyve and then bhyve itself. And for UEFI systems
there is only one stage.  Does it mean that eventually bhyveload and
grub2-bhyve will become totally obsolete and the one-stage VM startup
procedure will become the universal method?

2. All this fbuf/VNC stuff looks cool, but I don't quite understand. You
can see the guest OS's console in VNC, like the Windows desktop, or
only the UEFI shell, and then you have to access the guest OS via
RDP/ssh etc ?

TIA for explanations.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN