bhyve: "Failed to emulate instruction 0x4c (...)" using "Core i5 6200U"...

Nils Beyer nbe at renzel.net
Wed Aug 3 13:16:15 UTC 2016

I wrote:
> Windows probably tries to access some fancy Skylake features. Is there a
> way to fake my simulated CPU so that it gets detected as an Ivybridge?

Ok, it happens on my Ivybridge Core i3-3110M, too. So, I wanted to look when
it exactly crashes using VNC.

Becuase I'm stupid, I've forgotten the "wait"-option in the "fbuf"-statement
and because I'm slow I need some seconds to connect via VNC. Because the VM
is already running, it skips DVD boot and jumps to our WDS boot enviornemnt.

And that's where the abort trap is generated. Using the "wait"-option I'm
able to jump into the DVD installer at the right time.

And it's working well.

Sorry for the noise...

Regards,
Nils