error running grub-bhyve with -S

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Oct 22 17:21:12 UTC 2015

I’m running bhyve on an Intel machine running FreeBSD 11-CURRENT, updated a few days ago. I have a Debian 8.2 VM that has been running fine but now I’d like to add a PCI pass-through device. Unfortunately, when I add the required “-S” flag to my grub-bhyve command line it doesn’t work:

# bhyvectl —vm=vm0 --destroy
# grub-bhyve -m /images/vm0-device.map -M 1024 -r hd1 -S vm0
Could not setup memory for VM
Error in initializing VM

Obviously, running “bhyve” after that fails as well.

What would cause that error and what can I do about it?

Thanks!

JN