Illumos boot

Tycho Nightingale tycho.nightingale at pluribusnetworks.com
Tue Oct 13 12:42:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

Please see inline.

On Oct 13, 2015, at 7:17 AM, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-virtualization <freebsd-virtualization at freebsd.org> wrote:

> In my quest to continue expanding guest support in my vm-bhyve utility (See https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve :) ), I've found the Windows support pretty solid once I got clear on the slot requirements. I'm now trying an OS that requires CSM (Illumos) but unfortunately I'm currently struggling to get it to boot up correctly.
>
> Here's an example of the command I'm generating at the moment (This is running on an Intel Core-i3):
>
> bhyve -c 2 -m 2G -s 0,hostbridge -s 31,lpc \
>      -s 3,ahci-cd,/data/vm/.iso/smartos-latest.iso \
>      -s 4:0,ahci-hd,/data/vm/smartos/disk0.img \
>      -s 5:0,virtio-net,tap0 \
>      -l com1,stdio -l com2,/dev/nmdm2A \
>      -H -l bootrom,/data/vm/.config/BHYVE_UEFI_CSM.fd \
>      smartos
>
> I have com1 set to stdio so I can easily watch the output as it runs.
> It tends to get as far as "Legacy INT19 Boot...", then fall over.
> Depending on whether I put the network interface directly in the slot after the HDD, I seem to get different errors -
>
> slot 3 - cd
> slot 4 - hdd
> slot 5 - virtio-net
>
> panic[cpu0]/thread=ffffff01457cdb40: BAD TRAP: type=e (#pf Page fault) rp=ffffff0004a69a60 addr=40 occurred in module "genunix" due to a NULL pointer dereference
>
> slot 3 - cd
> slot 4 - hdd
> slot 7 - virtio-net
>
> panic[cpu1]/thread=ffffff0004002c40: BAD TRAP: type=d (#gp General protection) rp=ffffff0004002740 addr=0
>
> On com2 I see the boot menu, then one and a half lines of dots. The second line of dots stops about 2/3 of the way across.

Have you tried booting illumos in verbose mode — edit the grub command line and provide ‘-v’.  That may give you a better backtrace than a program counter.

> Interestingly, my code normally puts the CD after the HDD, which Windows seems happy with as long as the slots are consecutive.
> In SmartOS this gives me a different error:
>
> slot 3 - hdd
> slot 4 - cd
> slot 5 - virtio-net
>
> PlatformBdsBootFail
> Boot Failed. Harddisk 1
> !!!! Find PE image /home/grehan/proj/stock_edk2/Build/BhyveX64/DEBUG_GCC48/X64/UefiCpuPkg/CpuDxe/CpuDxe/DEBUG/CpuDxe.dll (ImageBase=000000007F8DC000, EntryPoint=000000007F8DC2AF) !!!!

This error is from the UEFI code.  It implies that the CSM boot failed or was never invoked.  If the HDD isn’t bootable, yet the CD is, that is the most likely source as the CSM assumes the first block device it encounters is the desired boot source.

Tycho