Program for dynamically making taps/bridge topologies.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 11 17:44:04 UTC 2015

Hello,

Here at Norse we are using bhyve to run our appliance in a test environment.

We have a need for a test network to be made on demand, so this weekend
I took some time and wrote a tool that allows you to specify a topology
of bridges and taps that you can then use to create your virtual network.

In our case our test servers have a bridge0 that is static and bridges
to our private test network.  However we also need a bridge to be
dynamically that we will generate traffic over in isolation. We then
need taps created and "assigned" or labeled properly for our QA suite to
attach to our VMs properly.

We then also need the ability to query the topology and emit the correct
taps to assign to each vm.

Finally we need the ability to tear down the virtual network once it's
no longer needed.

This tool provides all three functions.

The tool is available here:
https://github.com/splbio/netmanager

Comments, pull requests and questions are welcome.

-Alfred