C bhyve administration tool

Shawn Debnath shawn at debnath.net
Thu Nov 5 18:15:07 UTC 2015

Great feedback and thank you.  Looks like it might not hurt to continue
the work, at least for now.

My reasoning for a C based tool was to be able to use libvmmapi to get
deeper integration with the bhyve framework.  Let's see how things go.
I will work on getting the basics functioning and get a build out.
Folks can try it out, and if there's interest, we can talk about what
would a good local bhyve administration tool should look like. Seems
like there are at least a few people with ideas they would like to see
implemented. The basics can be easily re-factored so this effort won't
be wasted.

The initial features will mimic iohyve and vmrc with more or less the
same cmdline usage:

1. Build a VM based on configuration (simple to start, UCL is the goal)
2. Start/stop/restart VM (Attempt graceful shutdown, option for forced)
3. StartAll/StopAll/RestartAll VMs
4. List basic status of VMs
5. Destroy a VM

Won't be dealing with ZFS management yet.

Thanks,
Shawn

Paul Vixie on 11/04/2015 14:19 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 04, 2015 09:56:53 PM Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > Well,
> >
> > in all honesty, getting vm managers to kvm equivalents ( ie virt-manager )
> > should not be a goal. virt-manager and friends are terrible. Please
> > envision something better!
> >
> > Where it is hosted and what language it is written in doesn't really matter.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents.
>
> i'll add a nickel to those thoughts. libvirt isn't a library, virsh isn't a
> shell, and it all sucks so bad it blows. bhyve deserves something new.
>
> --
> P. Vixie

Shawn