No multicast routing support on Virtio vtnet(4) drivers ?

Olivier Cochard-Labbé olivier at cochard.me
Wed May 6 09:35:23 UTC 2015

I'm trying to set-up a multicast network lab using bhyve (then the vtnet
interfaces).
But when starting a PIM multicast routing daemon, I've got this error
message:

[root at router]~# service pimd start
Starting pimd.
pimd: 17:22:59.119 Failed adding VIF 0 (MRT_ADD_VIF) for iface
vtnet0:(error 45): Operation not supported
May  5 17:22:59 router pimd[1810]: Failed adding VIF 0 (MRT_ADD_VIF) for
iface vtnet0: Operation not supported
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pimd: WARNING: failed to start pimd

Is it a bug or a non-implemented feature ?
I didn't meet this problem on virtualbox with em(4) interfaces.

Regards,