xen_kernel, console and X11

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 2 15:43:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to get Xen running and following these instructions:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xen

and

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Dom0

I'm running two days old -CURRENT and ports. I've installed the
emulators/xen port and followed instructions in pkg-message.

I'm having some problems with console. I'm wondering if it's possible to
have X running on the same box running xen kernel?

My setup is as follows:

 - Intel i5-4690 that supports IOMMU:
    $ sudo acpidump -t|grep DMAR
      DMAR: Length=128, Revision=1, Checksum=90,
    $
 - vm.max_wired=-1 in /etc/sysctl.conf
 - xc0     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure in
   /etc/ttys

In loader.conf I have:

xen_kernel="/boot/xen"
xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0pvh=1 com1=115200,8n1
guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all console=com1"

With this setup I get my system booted and at some point I can see a
login screen. When I type 'startx' the system freezes. Have to hard
reboot it to get working again.

When I drop 'console=com1' from 'xen_cmdline', I cannot even see a login
screen. All I can see is a black screen with a white cursor. It doesn't
respond to any input though. On the other hand, the system doesn't seem
to be frozen, at least power button triggers an ACPI event for power
off.

Am I hitting some bug or is that some configuration issue?

Thanks,

Roman Bogorodskiy