Several bhyve quirks

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 26 07:54:14 UTC 2015

Hi Julian,

> Thank you for your explanation and tips, Peter.  I just tried changing
> virtio-blk -> ahci-hd and preliminary results are good.  And now you've
> mentioned it, I do recall seeing slightly less performance degradation
> on guests with 2 vCPUs vs. ones with just one.

  Glad to hear that :)

>> Try using the -W option to bhyve. This will force the bhyve virtio
>> code to advertize (non-standard) MSI interrupt capability which OpenBSD
>> will then use to allocate vectors.
>
> Unfortunately -W didn't help.  This is not critical, however, and I'll
> ask around in the OpenBSD mailing list.

  I tried this out today with OpenBSD 5.7 and a CURRENT host, and it's
actually a bug in the virtio-rnd implementation in bhyve when MSI-x
isn't used. The early testing was with FreeBSD and Linux which both use
MSI-x so wasn't picked up for the MSI/legacy case.

  I have a fix for CURRENT and that should make it's way into 10-stable
shortly.

  Thanks for the report !

later,

Peter.