anyone used AliYun cloud?

Gavin Mu gavin.mu at qq.com
Mon Jun 1 00:56:21 UTC 2015

This is a little long story... We have one product based on FreeBSD, and someones thought it is difficult to deploy on some popular clouds, especially in China, such as QingCloud and Aliyun, all provide Linux and Windows images but not FreeBSD.

First I tried on QingCloud, who uses KVM, and FreeBSD can run, but it failed to be saved as an image. From the communication with QingCloud engineers, I knew they use guestfs and can not recognize UFS filesystem.

Several days ago, I tried Aliyun, who use Xen. FreeBSD can run also, and can also be saved as an image, but VM provisioning failed. Their engineer told me that the file system has been changed and can not work.

Later I tried to make a dual OS image, with 2GB Ubuntu on ext2 as the first MBR primary partition, and the second one as FreeBSD, VM provisioning can work now.

I believe the ext2 partition can be reduced, but it must be very careful to not break VM provisioning.

Both QingCloud and Aliyun use the technology to write the initial configurations to guest file system during VM provisioning, the difference is QingCloud do checks when saving images, and Aliyun not. I am planning to try QingCloud again with the dual OS solution.

We have also built an internal channel with Aliyun guys recently, but they did not tell the release date for FreeBSD support (business reason maybe).

Regards,
Gavin Mu