troubles booting OpenBSD 5.7 or NetBSD 6.1.5 w/ grub2-bhyve

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 28 19:50:27 UTC 2015

Hi John-Mark,

> After first figuring out that the README on github doesn't include that
> you need to include the boot device to load the files from

  You can pass "-r <bootdev>" on the grub2 command line to specify what
the default device should be (it is "(host)" if not overridden).

   e.g. for your netbsd command-line, this would be

   # grub-bhyve -r cd0 -m dev.map nbsd615

> I finally got kopenbsd and knetbsd loading, but when I run boot, it just drops
> me to a prompt w/o doing anything.

  This is the same behaviour as bhyveload. You then need to invoke bhyve
after the loader to start the VM.

> So, kernels are loading fine, just things crash when trying to run
> them...  FreeBSD VM's run fine...

  What's the symptom of the crash ?

later,

Peter.