bhyve stuck

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 7 17:45:34 UTC 2015

Hi Andrea,

> Assertion failed: (aior != NULL), function ahci_handle_dma, file
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/bhyve/pci_ahci.c, line 494.

  Ok - this should result in the bhyve process exiting.

> Now the VM is totally hang. Trying to kill bhyve doesn’t work, not
> even kill -9. I tries do to do a bhyvectl —destroy and the VM
> disappeared from /dev/vmm but I am strongly uncomfortable with what
> to do now. The process is still there. Can I restart the VM?

  It should be fine to restart after a bhyvectl --destroy

> This is the state of the process:
 > 91715 100246 bhyve blk-2:0 7 121 stop getblk

  This seems to be the culprit. What's the version of FreeBSD running on
the host ?

  tychon@ did quite a bit of work recently on making the block layer
more robust in the face of guest controller timeouts. This made it in to
CURRENT as of r274330, and was MFCd to 10-STABLE with r276429. That
change may help with your issue.

later,

Peter.