openbsd 5.7 beta - not booting completely in bhyve

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 22 19:45:31 UTC 2015

Hi Rich,

> I am using FreeBSD 11 CURRENT r278872.
> I have an OpenBSD 5.7 beta image that was running on VirtualBox.
> I converted the vdi image using qemu-img.
>
> When I boot the OpenBSD with Bhyve I notice that the boot drive is
> not recognized the same as in VirtualBox.
> VirtualBox -  wd0a
> Bhyve  - sd0a
>
> I have to manually enter sda0 during the boot process.
> The OpenBSD slices are recognized and booting continues.
> I see:
> starting local daemons: cron.
> Then the date.
> At that point OpenBSD appears hung.

  To add to Allan's note

  - you'll have to edit /etc/ttys to enable getty on the serial port.
This is done by default by the OpenBSD installer on bhyve since it has a
serial console by default, but not on VBox/VMWare/etc that have a video
console

+tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt220    on secure
-tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off

  - sd0 can be selected as the boot disk from the grub-bhyve comand line
e.g.

   kopenbsd -h com0 -r sd0a /bsd

later,

Peter.