CDROM options in bhyve

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 17 08:29:53 UTC 2015

Hi Sergey,

> Yes, it is clear how to do at boot time. I'd like to be able to change
> it AFTER the guest is up and running.

  bhyve doesn't offer any type of dynamic device reconfiguration at the
moment.

> By the way, for Windows guest I'm using AHCI, not virtio (per the
> instructions):
>
> ... -s 4,ahci-cd,$CD ...
>
> I don't see any device created (I'm not sure what's the possible name though).

  It should be a 'D' drive. Appended is a list from a w2k16 VM, with a
FreeBSD ISO on the ahci-cd drive (so it isn't bootable). You can also
view this graphically using Windows Administrative Tools -> System
Information -> Components -> CDROM.

later,

Peter.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10514

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: WIN2016

DISKPART> list volume

   Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status
Info
--------
   Volume 0     D   11_0_CURREN  CDFS   CD-ROM       211 MB  Healthy

   Volume 1     C   Windows      NTFS   Partition     29 GB  Healthy
Boot
   Volume 2                      FAT32  Partition    400 MB  Healthy
System