FreeBSD stable locking W2K12R2 Hyper-V Management Service

Peter Thoenen - NOAA Federal peter.thoenen at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 4 01:41:18 UTC 2015

Not sure how to troubleshoot this or where to start but my HyperV admins
noticed lately that my FreeBSD instance locks the virtual machine management
service interface randomly and only possible to restore via a full system
(of the HyperV box) reboot.  It does not "lock" the VM in that any VM on
that HyperV on that instance continues to run no problem it's simply that
you can no longer access the management interface or restart the service.

FreeBSD:  FreeBSD prh-i-sec.prh.noaa.gov 10.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD
10.2-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Aug  3 10:20:21 HST 2015
pthoenen at prh-i-sec.prh.noaa.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Microsoft: Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter Version 6.3 (Build 9600)

On Windows side logs pretty vague:

[warn] Hyper-V Data Exchange connected to virtual machine 'PRH-I-SEC', but
the version does not match the version expected by Hyper-V (Virtual machine
ID 58415946-9B71-4C2A-BF9A-ABBC364F30E6). Framework version: Negotiated
(3.0) - Expected (3.0); Message version: Negotiated (4.0) - Expected (5.0).
This is an unsupported configuration. This means that technical support will
not be provided until this problem is resolved. To fix this problem, upgrade
the integration services. To upgrade, connect to the virtual machine and
select Insert Integration Services Setup Disk from the Action menu.

[error] PRH-S-BLADE03	16000	Error	Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMSMicrosoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-AdminThe
Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service encountered an unexpected
error: Unspecified error (0x80004005).

On the flipside I have another FBSD system in the same chassis and doesn't
have this problem (when moved to another blade works just fine) but same
time lots of errors around the Data Exchange integration service

Error	Hyper-V-Integration-Data-Exchange	4096	None
'PRH-I-DARK': The Data Exchange integration service is either not enabled,
not running or not initialized. (Virtual machine ID
7149C0AC-CECC-48A1-916E-943713B4E92F)

Which makes me wonder if somehow the error has to do with the IDE service?

On the FBSD side, nothing showing up in system log of import

Anyways Google no help and not even sure where to start troubleshooting this
one.

Thanks in advance,

-Peter