bhyve clock problem, solved by kern.timecounter.hardware="TSC-low" in /etc/sysctl.conf

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Apr 10 18:05:06 UTC 2015

Stephen Stuart wrote:
> I think the right thing is to set (in /boot/loader.conf)
> kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.quality to a value higher than that for
> HPET, to force the clock choice over what the kernel decides for the
> hardware that you're running on. See timecounters(4).

if every bhyve guest ever is going to need this, then the interface
offered to the guest kernel ought to present the right set of defaults
to cause the right choice to be made, or the guest kernel must simply
"know better". in other words me adding something to /boot/loader.conf
or /etc/sysctl.conf in every single bhyve guest ever is an indication
that we're doing something wrong elsewhere.

--
Paul Vixie