available hypervisors in FreeBSD

Gustau Pérez gustau.perez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:28:56 UTC 2015

·

On 01/04/2015 12:41, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> El 01/04/15 a les 12.30, Udo Rader ha escrit:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> first please excuse if this may be a FAQ, but even though I am a long
>> time linux admin (~1996), I am quite new to the *BSD world and I am
>> trying to evaluate if FreeBSD fits our virtualization needs.
>>
>> So, for my many questions:
>>
>> As far as my homework digging revealed, FreeBSD supports four hypervisors:
>>
>> * bhyve
>> * KVM
>> * QEMU
>> * VirtualBox
> Make that 5:
>  * Xen: http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Dom0
>
> Altough FreeBSD doesn't run KVM, and I'm not sure whether QEMU fits
> under the hypervisor category, it's an emulator instead, so the list
> should probably be 3 (Bhyve, VirtualBox and Xen).
>
> Roger.

   Hi Roger,

   I'm trying to build xen-tools in my laptop. It runs this:

                FreeBSD portgus 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #4
r279875+f0e745a(HEAD): Sat Mar 14 16:55:11 CET 2015

   the build was done with gcc48, instead of 4.7 (but I think it has
nothing to do with the problem) fails with the following error:

                http://pastebin.com/ShDnjLb1c

   It'd appear the compiler knows nothing about struct rdma_addrinfo
when dereferencing a field in the struct. May this struct be a linuxism?

   Best,

   Gustau