Does anyone use the FreeBSD VM qcow2 images

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 10 19:49:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel at freebsd.org>
wrote:

>   Glen Barber wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm talking about the images available here:
> >
> >     http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/
> >
> > Since mkimg(1) in head/ and stable/10 supports VMDK and VHD formats,
> > I would prefer to remove the need to use qemu-img to generate the VM
> > images.
> >
> > This would mean that the qcow2 format would no longer be produced.
>
> The qcow2 image format is very popular among Linux KVM/qemu-kvm users,
> maybe the most popular even.
>

> So I think it'd be useful to keep producing these images.

Hi,

That may be true, but I don't think that we as the FreeBSD project need to
produce qcow2 images.
We also provide raw disk, VMDK , and VDI images.  The raw disk and VMDK
images can
easily be converted to qcow2 via the qemu-img program.

For example:

http://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/content/ch_converting.html

--
Craig