moving from virtualbox to bhyve - SOLVED

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 22 01:16:02 UTC 2014

Hi John,

> I was so busy waiting for the login screen from the console that I'd failed
> to notice it *HAD* actually booted. I found this out by trying
> to ssh to it for the hell of it. dmesg showed things were normal.
> My console, though, looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/q4a3t4e
> The ubuntu is 13.10 with security patches.

  I think what happened is that the grub config file was setting up
Ubuntu for a graphical console on the original VBox VM.

  grub-bhyve will auto-insert a "console=ttyS0" at the start of the
kernel command-line, but any loater "console=" option will override this.

  You may have to edit your grub.conf and remove any "console=" options.
There may be some additional steps that are required to enable a getty
on the serial port - that tends to be distro-specific and I'm not sure
what is required (if anything) for Ubuntu.

later,

Peter.