Trying to run an older head in a recent Bhyve.

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Wed Nov 19 22:38:22 UTC 2014

On 16-11-2014 19:19, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2014-11-16 12:54, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> On 16-11-2014 0:59, Peter Grehan wrote:
>>> Hi Willem,

>>>  Did the disk image backing file change by any chance ? e.g. from file
>>> to zvol ?
>>>
>>>  What's the version of the VM that has the issue ?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by that exactely, but the VM runs a relatively
>> old HEAD:
>>
>> FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r262690: Sun Mar  2 21:28:19 CET 2014
>> root at bhyve-head:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>
>> It boots in single mode.
>>
>> I'tt try and manually assign an IP number and will see what that brings.

> He is asking how the virtual disk is setup, specifically, if it is a zvol
>
> Judging by the backtrace, the VM is panicing when trying to write to the
> disk and it fails
>
> From my experience, the two most likely causes are:
>
> 1) The disk is a zvol, and does not have the volmode set, and GEOM on
> the host is grabbing the disk and locking it, preventing writes
>
> 2) The VM was shutdown ungracefully and the file system needs a fsck.
> Since you can get into single user mode, this should be doable.

The VM-disk is a file, very early on I tried things with ZVOL but have
not yet returned to testing those.

Well the system passes the fsck-check during boot.
And I can manually config the network, and /etc/resolv.conf

Then the system stays up, and I was able to download the new sources and
build them without crashing the system...

I really crashed right after DHCP answers....

--WjW