VIMAGE and VirtualBox networking question

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 11 00:01:32 UTC 2014

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> On 11/05/14 00:29, Manas Bhatnagar wrote:

>> Install ports tree in a temporary location (another computer or
>> something), grab the required folder and move it to the computer that
>> you want to install the port on and do 'make install clean' ? probably
>> won't work like that, you would need to make sure the directories for
>> dependencies are there too :o)

> Tried to do this with a full ports tree and I stopped it after gcc
> started to build.

BTW: You need /usr/src available for the creation of the package.
Preferably matching the kernel you want to install it..

I do this regularly (but without VIMAGE) in a jail where I build all my
packages. ("make install" and "pkg create" in a script)

I do all updates from source. I only update kernel, user land and
ports when security is at risk. Usually independent from each other.

But VirtualBox is an exception. I update kernel and VirtualBox at the same
time.

I was not brave enough to enable VIMAGE and VirtualBox on the same server.
But I may do that soon. I plan a major reconfiguration ca. end of the
year. I hope it is stable enough.

Regards
Peter