Enabling VIMAGE by default for FreeBSD 11?

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 09:30:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb <
> bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
>

>> > Can you provide a pointer to your Perforce branch?
>>
>> //depot/user/bz/vimage/src/...
>>

> Hi,
>
> Since I am more familiar with git than Perforce, I converted
> your Perforce branch to git and put it on github:
>
> https://github.com/rodrigc/bz-vimage
>
> I took a look at the history of that branch, and it looks like you
> merged quite a lot of changes in this branch back to FreeBSD.
> There were a few places where it looks like the code in your branch
> diverged from FreeBSD (in carp area, for example).
>
> Offhand, can you remember any VIMAGE related memory leaks
> you might have fixed in this branch which you did not merge back?
>
> This one looks pretty simple by removing UMA_ZONE_NOFREE in a few
> places:
>
> https://github.com/rodrigc/bz-vimage/commit/ebe7e4c5e7e5b3dbfc442a25f10ca8681c605c89
>

> In this one, you added dom_pr_register() and dom_pr_unregister() hooks:
>
> https://github.com/rodrigc/bz-vimage/commit/a1d5c8bc2f4484e58594ca8fad793aa339a5ef29
>
> but I'm not sure if you wanted to merge this back to FreeBSD or not.
>
> Can you think of anything else in this branch that we need for VIMAGE?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Craig

I haven't checked if this is fixed in CURRENT, but at least on
10.0-STABLE r270295M,
gif(4) does not seem to play well with VIMAGE.

I've just noticed that gif(4) interface unit numbers seem to be unique
per machine, regardless of the vnet (I guess unit numbering not
properly virtualized),
so that if I create gif0 in one vnet jail and try the same in another
vnet jail I get "ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: File exists"

What's even worse is that once the jail is destroyed, the gif(4)
tunnel interface disappears from the system (no longer shows in
ifconfig), but you can't reuse the unit number, so
I continue to get SIOCIFCREATE2: File exists for gif0 on the host or
other vnet jails.

--Nikolay