bhyve on AMD, linux and high load

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Thu May 22 15:26:12 UTC 2014

Hoi,

Just a point on the timeline....
I think somebody asked why his CPU load was so high on AMD running linux.

I've completed compiling a "fresh" linux-kernel on my Ubuntu 14.04
system, installed and rebooted it.

And where previously a Linux-kernel would drain the CPUs it got assigned
to the max... Aka 2 CPU would drive the load +2 and top would diskplay a
200% cpu.

With the new kernel, that is no longer the case. On a idle vm the CPU
load is like 6-7%....

At the moment I'm running:
	linux-image-3.13.0-24-generic_3.13.0-24.46_amd64

So somewhere in the interaction between bhyve idle detection and the
older linux kernel things do not match...

--WjW