Disk IO throttling for VM guests?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Thu May 8 15:57:45 UTC 2014

Is there any possibilities to limit disk IO for virtualization guest on
FreeBSD?
I would like to know, if it is possible to limit IOps for jails, or
Bhyve guest, or VirtualBox quests. There are ways to limit CPU or RAM
for them, but CPU and RAM are really huge these days. On the other hand,
HDDs are still very IO limited and if one guest runs disk IO hungy task,
then all other guest are affected / slow.

I read about plugable GEOM scheduler few years ago (GEOM_SCHED), but it
seems that it is dead project and there is no module for it to allow
some scheduling according to PID, JID or something like this.

So do we have anything like this for Jails or Bhyve?
http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/DiskIOLimits
http://wiki.smartos.org/display/DOC/Tuning+the+IO+Throttle

Miroslav Lachman