bhyve and serial port emulation problem

Olivier Cochard-Labbé olivier at cochard.me
Fri May 2 06:27:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Neel Natu <neelnatu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Olivier,
>
> The UPDATING entry in r264175 describes how to fix this:
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=264175
>
> Briefly, you will now need to change your /etc/ttys to look like this:
> ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty 3wire" vt100   on secure
>
> If your virtual machine has an older world then your /etc/gettytab
> will not have the entry for "3wire" and you may want to use
> "3wire.9600" instead.

Hi Neel,
I've just discovered that on an headless server I had the same problem too,
then concluded that I need to check some serial port behavior change and
not bhyve bug.
I believe the default templates for /etc/ttys (like src/etc/etc.amd64/ttys)
need to be updated for replacing "std.9600" by "3wire" for avoiding this
regression on new installation.

Sorry for the noise regarding bhyve,

Olivier