freebsd 10.0 not work carp protocol on Hyper-v

Maurizio Marini maurizio.marini at cost.it
Mon Mar 3 11:29:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 02:17:14 -0800
Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 3/2/14, 2:49 AM, Giovanni Mattera wrote:
> > good morning
> > I installed freebsd 10.0 on Hyper -V Windows Server 2012 R2.
> > I would like to enable the CARP protocol but is still in a state of init .
> > The error in dmessage is " ifa_del_loopback_route : deletion failed: 48" .
> > How do you configure CARP on Hyper -V ?
> > I've used both the card " Legacy Network " and " Network" but the result is
> > the same. We are available to pay for this.
>
> have you tried this kernel with real hardware?

Hello Julian
CARP with this kernel in other environment does work fine.
The issue is that carp interface never goes MASTER, it stay in INIT state w/out
going into MASTER state.
The error we see on dmesg is:  ifa_del_loopback_route : deletion failed: 48.

There is no block on MAC-ADDRESSES on Hyper-v, no firewall, nothing.

We have tried with de interface (lelacy) and hn interface: same issue.

this is the hn interface:
hn0: <Synthetic Network Interface> on vmbus0

this is the ifconfig output:

hn0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=18<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
        ether 00:15:5d:2c:11:21
        inet6 fe80::215:5dff:fe2c:1121%hn0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 192.168.222.201 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.222.255
        inet 192.168.222.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.222.255 vhid 1
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        carp: INIT vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 0

In attach I provide you full dmesg output

I can provide you an ssh access to this freebsd virtual machine, no problem at all.

Googling around we find many people facing the same issue (CARP on Hyper-v),
none was able to provide a solution in forums or mailing lists.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards

--
Cordiali Saluti
Maurizio Marini

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone
indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla
conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate
ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne
immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione.
Grazie. This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may contain
privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination,
copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorized. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachment and advise
the sender by return e-mail. Thank you