jenkins bhyve vms crashing and burning after several days of use

Neel Natu neelnatu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 22:00:12 UTC 2014

Hi Sean,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Sean Bruno <sbruno at ignoranthack.me> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 14:42 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> so, we're seeing the bhyve vms running in the freebsd cluster for
>> jenkins crashing and burning after a couple of days of use.
>>
>> vm exit[9]
>> reason          VMX
>> rip             0x0000000029286336
>> inst_length     3
>> status          0
>> exit_reason     49
>> qualification   0x0000000000000000
>> inst_type       0
>> inst_error      0
>>

>> It looks like we have an active core file on havoc.ysv if you have a
>> moment to look at it:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/bhyve.core
>>
>> FreeBSD havoc.ysv.freebsd.org 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #2
>> r267362: Wed Jun 11 14:56:34 UTC 2014
>> sbruno at havoc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAVOC  amd64
>>

> Also, from chaos.ysv
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/bhyve.core.chaos
>
> FreeBSD chaos.ysv.freebsd.org 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1
> r267362: Wed Jun 11 15:50:24 UTC 2014
> sbruno at chaos.ysv.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHAOS  amd64

Can you tell us the processor and memory configuration on havoc and chaos?

Also, could you execute the following commands on havoc:

# bhyvectl --vm=vmname --cpu=9 --get-vmcs-guest-physical-address
-- this will output the offending guest physical address that
triggered the EPT misconfiguration

# bhyvectl --vm=vmname --get-gpa-pmap=<gpa_from_above>
-- this will output the page table entries in the EPT that map to the
offending GPA

Hopefully that provides us with something to work with.

best
Neel