libvirt, bhyve, and Jenkins configuration problems

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 25 18:10:52 UTC 2014

  Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>

> > When you configure the connection in the 'Add a new Cloud' dialog, does
> > 'test connection' work for you? I don't see a host and credentials
> > specified, I'm not sure if jenkins libvirt plugin works with the local
> > connection.
> >

> OK, following your example, I have gotten further along.
> I have updated my setup instructions here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/libvirt/libvirt-bhyve-jenkins.html
>
> In "Step 3", when I click on "Test Connection", I see
>
>  OK: bhyve+ssh://root@localhost:22/system?no_tty=1 version=11000000
>
> so that seems to work.
>
> For Step 5, when I enter the Host and Credentials information,
> does this information need to be the IP address and login information
> for the VM that has been spawned, and not the info for libvirt, as
> specified in Step 3?

Correct.

> Does that mean that I need to configure my VM, so that it comes up with a
> known IP, so that
> it can be entered on this configuration page?

Correct.

Though, normally you don't need to perform any special configuration for
the IP address as long as the networking configuration is correct.

The VM just needs to be configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP.
Later on it should be persistent in dnsmasq.

An IP address could be obtained either from the dnsmasq leases file or
from arp cache for example.

> Also, the VM, that is spawned, it must have openjdk installed?  Does that
> mean that
> after libvirt starts the VM, Jenkins will try to SSH into the VM and start
> a Jenkins job
> by invoking java?

Yes, it's true, it starts its agent which does the job.

PS Maybe there are other ways to push Jobs to Jenkins nodes, but I
didn't look close into that.

Roman Bogorodskiy