libvirt and bhyve problems

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 10 05:40:02 UTC 2014

Roman,

I have been reading your blog posts on using libvirt + bhyve
here:

http://empt1e.blogspot.com/

and the libvirt bhyve documentation here:
http://libvirt.org/drvbhyve.html

but am having problems reproducing the steps.

I have a machine running:
FreeBSD  11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #6 r266934M: Sat May 31
20:24:37 PDT 2014
root at crodrigues.org:/usr/obj/opt2/branches/head/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I applied the following patches to the devel/libvirt port to fix
compilation problems for bhyve support:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2014-June/002586.html

I then did the following:

BUILD AND CONFIGURE
===================
cd /usr/ports/devel/libport
make config
(I made sure bhyve and QEMU support were enabled
make
make install

LIBVIRT CONFIG
==============

I created the following /tmp/bhyve.xml file:

<domain type='bhyve'>
  <name>bhyve</name>
  <uuid>df3be7e7-a104-11e3-aeb0-50e5492bd3dc</uuid>
    <memory>219136</memory>
    <currentMemory>219136</currentMemory>
    <vcpu>1</vcpu>
    <os>
       <type>hvm</type>
    </os>
    <features>
      <apic/>
      <acpi/>
    </features>
    <clock offset='utc'/>
    <devices>
      <disk type='file'>
        <driver name='file' type='raw'/>
        <source file='/tmp/some_disk.img'/>
        <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      </disk>
      <interface type='bridge'>
        <model type='virtio'/>
        <source bridge="virbr0"/>
      </interface>
    </devices>
</domain>

RUNNING
========

I did the following as root:

service libvirtd restart
virsh -c 'bhyve:///system'

Then I ran these commands from the virsh prompt:

virsh # define /tmp/bhyve.xml
Domain bhyve defined from /tmp/bhyve.xml

virsh # start bhyve
error: Failed to start domain bhyve
error: End of file while reading data: Input/output error
error: Failed to reconnect to the hypervisor

At this point libvirtd process crashed with a /libvirtd.core process ,
but for some reason I could not get a valid stacktrace.

Can you provide assistance to get this working?

Ultimately, I want to get the Jenkins libvirt plugin (
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Libvirt+Slaves+Plugin )
to work.

Thanks.

--