bhyve with Xorg/kde

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 25 19:20:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

> I can run apps like, firefox, xterm, etc, but not a desktop.
>
> my idea was to use bhyve as a remote workstation  and be available to
> export the full environments (kde/xfce etc)

  I admit I've not tried this with a FreeBSD guest, but with an Ubuntu
guest I was able to start KDE and send the display to a mac running X11.
I also tried Xvnc on the Linux guest - this worked, but was a lot slower
than remote X.

> how much helps adding a graphic card to the server and “share it”
> among the instances ?

  I'm not sure how that would work. It may be possible to use pass-thru
for a graphics card to a single guest, but I don't think even that would
work as expected due to the fixed <1MB VGA address space that can't be
shared amongst guests/the host card.

 > can it be emulated ?

  There will be VGA emulation in bhyve at some point - don't know
exactly then that will be.

later,

Peter.