bhyve and legacy

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 23 20:34:43 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:48:20 pm Neel Natu wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Is there any interest in supporting more "legacy" setups via bhyve?  In
> > particular, I'd like to take a whack at improving the PCI INTx support, but
> > that can involve several things such as possibly implementing 8259A support
> > and a PCI interrupt router vs always assuming that we have APICs.  If we do
>
> I would love to see PCI INTx support so we can do legacy interrupts
> for the virtio device models.
>
> However, does that require going all the way back to 8259 style
> interrupts? It should work fine with IOAPIC, no?

No, it does not.  It was more a question of what was desired.  The first step
would probably just be to get the IOAPIC case working well and make sure the
_PRT is populated in ACPI and MP Table is correct.  (For example, in typical
systems, ISA IRQs are not used for PCI INTx on an I/O APIC, but interrupt pins
above 15 are used).

--
John Baldwin