Linux on BHyVe in 10.0-RELEASE

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 10:37:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Jonas Bülow <jonas.bulow at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do use the precanned bhyve-script "vm0" (if that is what you mean). It
> explicitly mentions linux support. bhyveload can't be user for other images
> than FreeBSD so I don't know how to use your script for a linux OS

Since I have not used bhyve-grub personally yet I can not recommend what
the correct loader command line but if bhyve-script is in anyway related to
vmrun.sh I would be highly suspicious of any command lines you manage to
extract from it since they are often not the ones actual called.

> I assume the image is file backed as I have not assigned a dedicated
> partition to the vm (and I don't know how to do that).

You can keep them anywhere no need for a special volume (mater of fact I
was just reusing the name of one of the diretoriess that PC creates during
install even without it being a different vol [just assumes any FS
boundaries are the host OS's problem)... you can put the disk image any
where (your home directory would be fine for example)