Bhyve and booting a ZFS-on-root system

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Sun Feb 23 23:35:43 UTC 2014

On 22-2-2014 22:28, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl
> <mailto:wjw at digiware.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Just for the fun of it, I tried my build zfs-system scripts in a
>     bhyve-vm.
>
>     I use the 10.0-RELEASE iso to get to a shell, config and interface and
>     download my script. Installing does work, and on a regular system we can
>     go and boot into a ZFS-on-Root system.
>

> ZFS on Root inside a BHyve VM was not working until
> today.  If you you have a FreeBSD-CURRENT system and then update
> to this revision:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-all/2014-February/081210.html

Good pointer.....

Added this patch to my tree, recompiled buildworld, and installed.
And I'm up and running a Root on ZFS vm....

So that works too.

Now If only i figured out why my linux install is running horibily
slow..... I sort of have the feeling that CD/iso access is the crulpit.
Every time new things are being loaded it is like molasses.

Hopefully the vm without the CD does perform.

--WjW