Detect of BHyve VM was powered off or rebooted?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 12 09:28:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Neel Natu <neelnatu at gmail.com> wrote:

> > One question, if "bhyve" exits, do I have to call bhyveload again before
> > calling bhyve?
>
> Yes, that is correct. You will also need to destroy the VM after bhyve
> exits.

Why can't bhyve clean up after itself as the bhyve process exits
and destroy the VM?

It seems pointless to me for the user to have to explictly
destroy the VM.  Once the bhyve process exits, I doesn't seem that I can use
the VM again anyways.  To run the VM again, I seem to need to call:
  -> bhyvectl to destroy the VM
  -> bhyveload to load
  -> bhyve to run the VM

Aryeh has pointed out to me that it is the responsibility of the
user to explictly destroy and tap and bridge devices used by the
bhyve process after it exits.  Is this right?

What if I have a  single bridge0 device, and 10 tap devices,
one per VM?  If one VM exits and needs to be restarted, do
I need to tear down all the taps and bridge?

--
Craig