Report of my virtual network lab migrated from virtualbox to bhyve

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 12:51:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:42 AM, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> bhyve (as far I know) disks must be one solid file (md backed) or a /dev
>> block device... therefore it is unlikely the above would work
>>

> The reported size would be identical so I don't see what the problem is.

bhyve blindly read/writes into the middle of the file without consulting
the filesystem and thus bypassing any things like sparse fill in.... namely
all you gain is a few seconds of startup time (matter of fact I think
truncate might use sparse allocation [i.e. attempting to read into the
middle with guest OS control will result in potentially seeing host data])