bhyve - ESXi comparison part 2

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 1 03:48:59 UTC 2014

Hi Andrea,

 > Here comes the part 2 of our bhyve - ESXi comparison.

  Excellent work :)

  My take is that there is more general hypervisor overhead with bhyve.
Given that both user and system times from the benchmark are almost
uniformally larger for bhyve in all tests points to this. There has been
work in CURRENT to allow the host to have a much lower clock, which
could reduce hopefully a large piece of that overhead.

  The 20 x single CPU benchmark is really an ESXi vs FreeBSD filesystem
test - the user/system times show the same penalty as in the first
benchmark.

  The final benchmark points to how effective the ESXi scheduler is
under heavy load and with multiprocessor guests. I suspect it goes to
great lengths to avoid the 'lockholder preemption problem' - this is
pointed to by the fact that the -P option with bhvye allows it to now
complete the test, along with the large amount of time accounted as
system time.

later,

Peter.