VirtIo errors inside VM with UFS-in-zvol

Marat Bakeev hawara at hawara.com
Mon Aug 25 12:20:48 UTC 2014

I would like to confirm this issue

On 25/08/2014 01:05, Nikolay Denev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Stephen Stuart
> <stephen.stuart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have VMs running on FreeBSD 10.0, for which I made zvols to provide the
>> block IO device for bhyve. When I boot from the installation ISO, gpart
>> works inside the VM, but newfs does not, reporting vtbd0 errors.
> Trying to mount the partiton from the shell produces the same error,
> and in dmesg I see this:
>    vtbd0: hard error cmd=write 290-305

I would like to report the same problem. I'm using  10.0-RELEASE-p7 as a
host, and 9.3-RELEASE as a guest. VM is created using vmrc script, it
installed fine. But on attempt to create additional fs inside the vm,
newfs just silently fails without writing anything to disk.  file -s on
a filesystem reports just 'data', instead of the usual "Unix Fast File
system"

for example, quotacheck also fails from inside the vm - quotacheck:
Cannot find file system superblock: No error: 0.
I'm getting this error message for a working filesystem, a filesystem
created outside the vm and mounted inside it.

bhyve uses zvol for a block device, mounted using ahci-hd.
Commands used to start the vm are these:

/usr/sbin/bhyveload -m 4096 -d /dev/zvol/data/vm/bsd-ix0 bsd-ix0
/usr/sbin/bhyve -c 4 -m 4096 -A -H  -s 0,hostbridge -s
2,ahci-hd,/dev/zvol/data/vm/bsd-ix0 -s 3:0,virtio-net,tap8000  -s 5,lpc
-l com1,/dev/nmdm0A  bsd-ix0