Packets from host -> virt with broken ip checksum.

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:01:49 UTC 2014

I've started playing around with Bhyve and I've noticed that I can't
talk from the host to the virt and vice versa.
At the same time the virt can talk to the bridged subnet.

My setup is pretty simple, FreeBSD 10-STABLE (about two week old
build), with two bce(4) interfaces in lagg0 interface.
Then I have bridge0 and the virt's tap0 interface joined in the bridge
with lagg0.
IP address is on lagg0.

When I try to ping the virt from the host, tcpdump on vtnet0 shows
incoming icmp echo requests,
but no response. tcpdump shows bad checksums, netstat -s shows "bad
header checksums" incrementing.
Packes from the virt to the host seem ok, as I can try to ping from
the virt, and I see the icmp echo req, and the reply coming back, but
the reply is broken in this case so ping does not succeed.

--Nikolay