libvirt and rebooting of a bhyve VM

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 19 16:59:30 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-19 12:32, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, this revision adds the ability to 'reboot'. This does not exit
>> bhyve at all, so there is no exit level
>>
>> You can 'reboot' a bhyve externally using:
>> bhyvectl --force-reset --vm=xxx
>>
>> or force a poweroff with: bhyvectl --force-reset --vm=xxx
>>
>> SIGTERM simulates an ACPI shutdown
>>

>> the bhyvectl --destroy is to clean up, the instance remains even after a
>> clean shutdown. In the past, it had to be destroyed and recreated to
>> start the VM again, although now with reboot support, that may not be
>> required.
>

> Can you suggest patches to vmrun.sh to make these new behaviors more
> obvious?  People who write scripts over bhyve often look at vmrun.sh
> for inspiration.
>
> These new behaviors are definitely going in the right direction.
>
> --
> Craig

I am not sure what you'd change in vmrun.sh. In -STABLE, for a reboot,
bhyve doesn't exit so vmrun.sh doesn't need to change at all.

The loop in vmrun.sh ensures the VM gets restarted if bhyve crashes
(making this optional may be useful). I am not sure what else one might
change.

I'll write to write some better documentation so that there is something
else to refer to, rather than just the vmrun script.

--
Allan Jude