bhyve: allow specifiying tty by fd

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 9 17:36:06 UTC 2014

Hi Roman,

>>> bhyve <snip>  -s 31,lpc -l com1,fd=19 vm0
>>
>>    Yes, useful idea, and will become more relevant in the capsicum world
>> of passing fd's to a sandboxed bhyve.
>>
>>    Thanks: I'll get this submitted.
>
> Hi Peter!
>
> Any news on that?

  I started to do it, and then hesitated bit for two reasons. First,
it's useful for all backends, but there still needs to be a type - file
descriptors can't be treated as something opaque: there still needs to
be knowledge of whether it's a socket, char device, file etc, so the
option may need additional information to describe that.

  Also, given that Capsicum wants to pass fd's as parameters, I was
wondering if there is a general syntax style for doing this. "fd=%d"
seems Ok, though it would be useful if there was something in libutil to
parse an option like this if it is the preferred way forward for FreeBSD
executables.

  What do folk think ? Any useful precedents ?

later,

Peter.