Booting Linux VMs under Bhyve with fresh -CURRENT

symbolics at gmx.com symbolics at gmx.com
Sat Sep 28 12:29:45 UTC 2013

Hi

I noticed Peter Grehan's commit today that suggests it is now possible
to boot Ubuntu Linux under bhyve. I've tried a few things but I can't
seem to get it to start. The manual pages for bhyve(8) and bhyvectl(8)
seem to be missing at the moment, so I'm not sure how to proceed. From
reading vmrun.sh I see it uses bhyveload which is only capable of
booting FreeBSD. Experiments with using various bhyve command lines
similar to that in vmrun.sh didn't succeed.

# bhyve -AI -H -P -c 1 -m 512 \
    -s 0:0,hostbridge \
    -s 1:0,virtio-blk,ubuntu-01.vm \
    -s 2:0,virtio-blk,ubuntu-13.04-server-amd64.iso \
    ubuntu
vm exit[0]
	reason		VMX
	rip		0x0000000000000000
	inst_length	0
	error		0
	exit_reason	33
	qualification	0x0000000000000000

So, is it actually possibe to run Linux VMs today, given the userland
tools in -CURRENT? If so, how is it done?

Thanks!
--sym