Hyper-V 2012 Cluster / Failover - supported? - Any known issues?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 12:42:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

As you've probably seen from my previous posts, we're looking at using
Hyper-V with FreeBSD.

We built a test system (2 node cluster) - and had 2 HA hosts running on it
(a Windows 7 install, and a FreeBSD install from base/projects/hyperv
r255634).

Live migration works for both hosts (i.e. to the other cluster node, and
back) - but a failure of the node [power pulled / non-graceful shutdown]
running the VM's - seems to trash the FreeBSD system.

Hyper-V correctly see's the node fail, and restarts both VM's on the
remaining node. Windows 7 boots fine (says it wasn't shut down correctly -
which is correct) - but FreeBSD doesn't survive.

At boot time we get a blank screen with "-" on it (i.e. the first part of
the boot 'spinner') - and nothing else.

Booting to a network copy of FreeBSD and looking at the underlying virtual
disk - it appears to be trashed. You can mount it (but it understandably
warns it's not clean) - however, any access leads to an instant panic ('bad
dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry').

Trying to run fsck against the file system throws up an impressive amounts
of 'bad magic' errors and 'rebuild cylinder group?' prompts.

Should the current FreeBSD Hyper-V drivers support this? (like I said, live
migration worked without an issue - and Windows recovered fine from the
failure).

The Hyper-V is running under WS2012, with a Synology SAN - if you need any
more info, let me know,

Thanks,

-Karl