Three observations on Bhyve

Allan Jude freebsd at allanjude.com
Mon Oct 28 04:02:06 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-25 11:30, Peter Grehan wrote:
>> (1) You can't boot an i386 ISO. It can't load the kernel. I half
>> expected this would be the case. It would be nice if this did work.
>
>  The loader work isn't too bad to get this going, but the bhyve work
> is quite a bit more effort since the i386 kernel makes a lot more
> assumptions about the environment, such as the ability to call back
> into BIOS.
>
>  On the TODO list.
>
>> (2) VirtIO on a raw disc device seems to have some problems. I tried
>> installing using the -BETA1 amd64 ISO. The disc particulars seem to be
>> detected fine but when I try and commit the partition layout I see:
>>
>> 5vtbd0: hard error cmd=write 290-305
>>
>> The disc is a 640GB WD SATA disc and I used the automatic scheme, if it
>> makes any difference.
>
>  That's bhyve colliding with GEOM. There was a thread a while back
> about being able to exempt certain block devices from being tasted for
> iSCSI LUN usage - bhyve will probably need something similar.
>
>> (3) I tried to use the live environment in order to play around with
>> (2) a bit more but it lacks the necessary /etc/ttys line. It would be
>> great if this wasn't required *somehow*.
>
>  The ttys issue does need to be addressed. This applies for serial
> console users as well. Hey, works for Linux :)
>
>> Should I file PRs for these issues?
>
>  Yes, always file PRs please :)
>
> later,
>
> Peter.

Last night Devin made a patch to bsdinstall (at #vBSDCon hacker lounge)
to deal with the /etc/ttys issue on the system that bsdinstall installs,
but, I wonder what the correct fix is for the livecd environment.

During the hacker lounge discussion, we decided it probably wasn't a
good idea to enable the serial console by default (bsdinstall only does
it if it detects you using the serial console to do the install). I
suppose the same logic could be added to the rc.local script in
usr/src/release/ maybe, to 'patch' the /etc/ttys file when the serial
condition is detected.

--
Allan Jude